PAINTING WITH GOUACHE
PRESENTED BY ROB McHAFFIE
Saturday, 8th September 2018
11am – 12.00pm Saturday
*Chapman& Bailey Melbourne only
Artist Rob McHaffie uses humour and lightness of touch in his gouache portraits. For this demonstration, he will be talking about the possibilities of the medium by looking at samples of his work and that of other artists, before moving into a practical demonstration on working with gouache to achieve various effects on a range of surfaces. You will get an insight into gouache painting and you will learn more about the different kinds of available gouache paint. There will also be a chance to try some of these painting techniques yourself.
Rob’s daily practice consists of diary and journal work, and collecting found and personal imagery to form the basis of his drawing, painting and sculpture. Rob participated in exhibitions and residencies in Australia, New Zealand, France, and the USA and is represented by Darren Knight Gallery in Sydney, and Brett McDowell Gallery in Dunedin.
Image courtesy of Darren Knight Gallery
Beginners R&F Encaustic Painting 2 Day Weekend Workshop
Learn in-depth about this fantastic medium with encaustic painting specialist Marieke Dench. Spend 2 days at our Fitzroy studio, Melbourne close to fabulous galleries, cafes, and restaurants.
Small intimate class sizes. Hands-on personalized tuition. Specialist encaustic materials and tools are provided and included in the price.
Take home your own fabulous art works to keep plus gain the skills you need for more advanced encaustic workshops.
10am-4pm each day
Saturday 10 November 2018
Sunday 11 November 2018
$385 AUD (including all specialist encaustic materials)
What will be covered:
• Be trained in OHS – creating a safe and functional studio space to work with encaustics.
• Become skilled in choosing and using the best encaustic equipment – hotplates, heat guns, gas blowtorch. • Learn the components of encaustic medium and encaustic paints – beeswax, bleached medium, pigment mediums and their opacity abilities.
• Be taught about a variety of supports as a base for your artwork – pre primed boards, encaustic gesso boards, watercolour paper.
• Lean how to get a perfect encaustic base surface – fusing and hot iron tacking.
• Brush types and their techniques with encaustic mediums, inks and other drawing materials.
• Learn a variety of collage and embedding techniques for prints, paper and objects into your artwork.
• Gain knowledge of how to transfer images from magazines, colour copies etc. onto your artwork.
• Learn how to create a wide range of textural surfaces –Accretion, linen look, pigment dropping and scaping techniques.
ABOUT THE MARIEKE DENCH
Marieke Dench has a Fine Arts Degree from The Victorian College of the Arts (VCA), and 1st Class Honours Degree in Fine Arts from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (R.M.I.T) and a Diploma in Education from The University of Melbourne (Receiving the Award for Practical Teacher for the Year).
Dench has successfully maintained a recognised arts practice in her own right exhibiting nationally and internationally for almost 20 years.
The breadth of her practice is vast and includes advanced encaustic wax painting, watercolour and acrylic painting, printmaking and paper sculpture but to name a few.
Dench’s knowledge in such a wide array of mediums means she brings to her encaustic workshops and demonstrations multiple avenues that encaustic can be used depending on one’s background and interests.