- This event has passed.
2 Day Beginner’s Encaustic Workshop with Marieke Dench
10th November 2018 @ 10:00 am - 11th November 2018 @ 4:00 pm
10am-4pm each day
Saturday 10 November 2018
Sunday 11 November 2018
$385 AUD (including all specialist encaustic materials)
What will be covered:
• Be trained in OHS – creating a safe and functional studio space to work with encaustics.
• Become skilled in choosing and using the best encaustic equipment – hotplates, heat guns, gas blowtorch. • Learn the components of encaustic medium and encaustic paints – beeswax, bleached medium, pigment mediums and their opacity abilities.
• Be taught about a variety of supports as a base for your artwork – pre primed boards, encaustic gesso boards, watercolour paper.
• Lean how to get a perfect encaustic base surface – fusing and hot iron tacking.
• Brush types and their techniques with encaustic mediums, inks and other drawing materials.
• Learn a variety of collage and embedding techniques for prints, paper and objects into your artwork.
• Gain knowledge of how to transfer images from magazines, colour copies etc. onto your artwork.
• Learn how to create a wide range of textural surfaces –Accretion, linen look, pigment dropping and scaping techniques.
Marieke Dench has a Fine Arts Degree from The Victorian College of the Arts (VCA), and 1st Class Honours Degree in Fine Arts from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (R.M.I.T) and a Diploma in Education from The University of Melbourne (Receiving the Award for Practical Teacher for the Year).
Dench has successfully maintained a recognised arts practice in her own right exhibiting nationally and internationally for almost 20 years.
The breadth of her practice is vast and includes advanced encaustic wax painting, watercolour and acrylic painting, printmaking and paper sculpture but to name a few.
Dench’s knowledge in such a wide array of mediums means she brings to her encaustic workshops multiple avenues that encaustic can be used depending on one’s background and interests.
Participants have often commented that she is
“One of the most generous and knowledgeable tutors”
“Her background is what makes learning the technique of encaustic wax painting even more rewarding”.
Dench has been the recipient of a Collie Trust Scholarship as well as winning a number of awards including the Silk Cut Award and Shell Fremantle Non-Acquisitive Print Award and has been commissioned to produce a number of extensive artworks in the public and private sector. Her work is held in numerous public and private collections.
She has been employed in the Visual Arts Departments by all of Melbourne’s major and some interstate tertiary institutions: V.C.A., R.M.I.T., U.S.Q. and N.M.I.T. She is extremely well regarded in delivering the highest quality art lecturing.
She works full time at her inner Melbourne studio.